International Ecumenical Congress
LUBLIN – THE CITY OF RELIGIOUS AGREEMENT 2017
The Orthodox tradition has been present in the Lublin area since the 13th century. At the end of the 14th century, the Polish king Władysław Jagełło ordered the building of the chapel of the Holy Trinity in the Lublin castle, with an interior decorated by Byzantine-Ruthenian frescos. The adherents of the Orthodox Church have shaped the culture of Lublin culture since the dawn of its history. At present, Lublin is the seat of the Lublin-Chełm Orthodox Church Bishop.
The word “catholic” means “universal”. The Catholic tradition has been alive in Lublin since the beginning of the city’s establishment. The oldest Catholic Church buildings were most likely built here as early as the 10th century, a long time before the establishment of the town. From the very beginning, Catholics have shaped the face of this place. Today in Lublin there are various Catholic Communities: Roman-Catholic, Polish-Catholic and Old-Catholic (Mariavite).
The Latin word “reformatio”, meaning “transformation”, is meant as a symbol of spiritual, intellectual and ethical breakthrough. Lublin would probably be a completely different city if not for Protestants – heirs of the sixteenth-century Reformation. The Lublin district was a special area for this social and religious movement in the history of the Polish Republic. Today in Lublin, besides the members of the Evangelical Church of the Augsburg Confession, there are also more recent Protestant churches and communities.
the 700th anniversary of Lublin’s city rights (1317)
the 500th anniversary of the Reformation (1517)
the 100th anniversary of the founding of The John Paul II Catholic University of Lublin (1918)
- Archbishop Abel – Polish Autocephalous Orthodox Church
- Archbishop Stanisław Budzik – Roman Catholic Church
- Bishop Jan Cieślar – Evangelical Church of the Augsburg Confession
- Krzysztof Żuk – Mayor of Lublin
- Sławomir Sosnowski – Marshal of the Lublin Province
- Fr. Prof. dr hab. Antoni Dębiński – Rector of The John Paul II Catholic University of Lublin